One thing you can be sure of is that mugs always make the perfect stocking filler gift at Christmas – but to bring a cool spin to it, we have decided to get experimental with some porcelain chalkboard paint. The best thing about this is you don’t need any drawing or painting skills – result!
What you’ll need:
Pebeo Porcelaine 150 Chalkboard Paint (don’t use regular chalkboard paint)
Any small paintbrush
How to do it:
1. Make sure the mug you’re using is clean and dry – this will help the overall finish of the mug.
2. Use your masking tape to mask off the parts of the mug that you don’t wish to paint. As we have got a mug with a photo on one side, we will only paint half the mug.
3. Once you have masked up the parts of the mug you don’t wish to paint – you can start applying the paint with your brush. If you do happen to make a mistake on the mug, just use a damp cloth to wipe away any excess paint (make sure you lay down some old newspaper onto the surface you’re painting on so you can clean up easily afterwards).
4. Once you have finished painting, carefully remove the masking tape from the mug. You can wait until the paint is fully dry, but this might result in some of the paint lifting at the edges.
5. You will need to allow the paint to dry for 24 hours before baking mug for 35 minutes at 300°F (Gas Mark 2). After you have finished baking, remove your mug and leave it to stand until it has cooled down to room temperature. Once you bake your mug, it will be both dishwasher and microwave safe.
6. Then you’re ready to get creative with your chalk designs – see some of ours below.
And there you have it, your very own DIY Chalkboard Photo Mug – the designs you can create are endless and maybe, just maybe, the kids will now want to make your morning cup of tea!
Have you been creative this Christmas, if so what DIY gifts have you made?